Education & Training
Our mission is to improve the care of older patients locally and nationally through outstanding teaching and design of innovative curricula. We train physicians and other health professionals from first year students to seasoned clinicians in settings ranging from classroom to clinic and hospital to home.
By promoting Geriatrics education, our aim is also “to win hearts and minds” and recruit more providers into careers in Geriatrics.
Our main areas of focus are:
- Medical Student Education: through large courses, small-group learning, mentorship, MSTAR, and elective rotations
- Resident Education: through continuity clinics for residents, elective rotations, inpatient general medicine attending, mentored housecalls, general medicine precepting, and didactic teaching
- Geriatrics Fellowship: by providing 1-3 year clinical and research fellows for health care professionals of various disciplines (medicine, dentistry, psychiatry)
- Inter-professional Education: dentistry, medical, nursing, pharmacy, and physical therapy students together through a range of interactive learning activities that include an elective and student interest group
- Mentored Research: The goal of this program is to increase the pool of clinical researchers focused on aging at UCSF and facilitate collaborative investigation. Trainees are encouraged to contact geriatrics research faculty to discuss mentored research opportunities in the UCSF Division of Geriatrics