UCSF Care at Home
UCSF Care at Home was established in 1999 with a philanthropic gift from the Richard and Maria Ury Endowment in honor of Dr. Harry Weinstein to teach medical students about home care to frail adults.
UCSF Care at Home provides home-based primary and palliative care to homebound adults in San Francisco. Our patients are of every ethnicity and of all socioeconomic levels. We serve all neighborhoods in San Francisco. The average age of our patients is 87 years. Referrals come from UCSF and community physicians, home care agencies, social workers, and directly from families.
We accept Medicare, Medi-Cal, and supplemental insurance coverage. We do not charge additional fees for our home-based services. We have 501(c)(3) nonprofit status through the UCSF Foundation and tax-deductible donations are much appreciated.
Who We Are
- We are a team of physicians, nurse practitioners, and social workers with expertise in geriatrics and palliative medicine who make home visits, support patients and families with complex care needs, focus on understanding their goals and preferences for medical care, specialize in symptom management, and provide individualized care. Our team also includes registered nurses and patient care coordinators.
- Our team is specially trained to manage common illnesses in aging such as dementia (Alzheimer’s, vascular and others), frailty, and falls, in addition to common medical problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and arthritis.
- Our services can help you and your loved ones:
- Understand your illness and what to expect in the future
- Serve as your primary care provider and coordinate your care
- Create a clear and effective plan for managing symptoms at home
- Ensure a safe and comfortable transition from hospital to home
- Make important medical decisions based on what’s important to you
- Connect to medical and social support resources that support you and your loved ones
Honors and Awards
The UCSF Care at Home Team received the 2015 UCSF Medical Center Team PRIDE award. This highest honor is awarded in recognition of their continuous demonstration of our core values: Professionalism, Respect, Integrity, Diversity, and Excellence.
Please click “Direct your gift to a specific area”, then “UCSF Care at Home Program".
To find out more about Care at Home or to refer a patient, please call us at (415) 514-3577.